Monday, June 22, 2009

Happy Summer Solstice! Yesterday.
Today is one of two second to the longest days of the year right?

So what are you going to do on your (can I say it again?!) one of two second to the longest days of the year? I don't know either. I think it will have something to do with cleaning, maybe laundry and if I'm lucky a nap. The weather may be nice tomorrow. Perhaps I won't shout "No more hail!" at the sky while shaking my fist. (My son informs me that that won't make it stop. It does, however, make me feel better) This has been a long month with lots of rain (usually my favorite type of weather). I am tired of the rain. Wait. That's not what I mean. Our garden is tired of the rain. I am tired of the hail that always comes with it. It's summer. It's time for the hail to stop don't you think?

I was feeling incredibly grumpy about it a couple of days ago and then I read a blog written by a woman who lives in Scotland. She quoted ee cummings and then shared some wonderful pictures of her toddler stomping in and pushing his stroller through puddles. Something about the world being mud-ilicious and puddle-wonderful. We had a lovely break (about 15 minutes) in the rain and I'd gotten out and walked on warm mud. It was mud-ilicious. Shortly afterwards it cooled down again and I invited the kids to join in. I think Mowgli thought I was off my rocker. (Not long my love, not long) No shoes, come walk in the mud. It took some time to convince him. Not so the tiny girl. I looked for her as we attempted to plant some seeds and found her splashing happily in a mud puddle. If only I'd grabbed my camera for that puddle-wonderful shot muddy faced gleeful girl. It wasn't long before we were back in the house kids in the warm tub. We'd had a mud-ilicious, puddle-wonderful time. Thanks ee cummings and Slugs on the Refrigerator (http://www.slugsontherefrigerator.com/) for your inspiration. It's possible to change your grump when you change your view. At least is was for me. Have a wonderful day.

1 comment:

Heather said...

I have been thinking about what we used to do on the longest day of the year in Juneau. It was a blast to stay out all night and play around. I loved that it never got dark that night. Fun times!