Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Backlash.  Lately it always seems to be somewhere in the list of headlines I read.   When I have investigated further (not much further mind you) I've discovered that a backlash can include either a large or a small number of people.  Is it possible that one person can create a backlash? 

Just random thoughts from the whirlpool in my brain.

Random thought #2 I just finished Turn Homeward, Hannalee by Patricia Beatty.  It's a young adult book, but I loved it.  It's about a fictitious southern mill worker and what she experiences during the civil war (for example:  rounded up and sent north as a traitor).  The author is meticulous in her historic accuracy.  She includes a note at the end explaining what is fictitious and what is not.  There are two strong female characters who make very different decisions.  It's a great fast read for an adult and a great young adult book.  The war is ever present and very real, but it does not get really gory.  The author doesn't mask it as she explains in the end, but the battle she chooses for her main characters to observe has weather which does to a certain extent.  I highly recommend it.  I will be looking for her other works as well.

PS This author was a recommendation to me by my sister-in-law.  There's nothing quite like looking through second hand books with someone who loves them too.  We spent a lot of time handing books back and forth to each other.  Good times!

No comments: