Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Efficiency

A word I've been thinking about a lot lately.  My mother-in-law was an amazingly efficient canner.  I'll never forget the one time I canned with her.  She knew what she was doing and it went FAST!  She'd canned--I'm certain--millions of jars of things by the time she and I canned together.  My own mother is amazingly efficient in the kitchen.  She can make a meal appear out of nothing very quickly.  I know she's made millions of meals, after all I've eaten many of them.  I've watched one of my sisters make bread with incredible efficiency.  She can even guide you through the process while sitting on the couch without looking at a recipe.  It's impressive.  The number of loaves she's made is unfathomable.  So I've been thinking, what of me?  What do I do efficiently?  Dishes and laundry are definitely out (anyone have an efficiency tips in that regard?  I could use them).  Cooking is a slow process...thank goodness for the efficiency of my husband--super chopper there.  I used to be quite efficient in computer use, but I'm seriously outdated now and what's left of what I know mainly rests in typing and even that is getting a little rusty.  Then it hit me....I can load a 3 milliliter syringe with 1-2 milliliters of medicine without even looking.  (I do double check, though as I once overheard a nurse say "We always have someone check us in Peds{Pediatrics}." and the checking prevented my son from receiving an overdose of something.)  There it is my efficiency in all its glory:  2 mils.    Now that's something to write home about.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those 2 mils are worth a LOT! So my two cents are: " think ahead, small bites,and practice a LOT" Mostly the last...ah..such great wisdom! Sure love you honey. One thing I think you are efficient at is making fun out of every day. I love all the stuff you do with the little guys...and those memories are the glue of life. Have a SUPER!
Mai

Anonymous said...

I have to comment again - you are amazingly efficient at choosing children's books that are perfect. How do you do that? There are sooo many; I haven't figured out how you sift down to those of value.
Hugs
Mai

SHAKS Watts said...

That is something to write home about. When my son's meds need to be mixed, I hope it's a day Slade is home. It seems I squeeze, stir and pull all wrong. I now have a mentor in the medicine world.

PS I'll bet your mom and M-i-l didn't ALWAYS can/cook with effeciency. Life is all about the learning curve, my friend.

Anonymous said...

AMEN to SHAKS!!