Monday, April 19, 2010

and above all, watch
with glittering eyes
the whole world around you
because the greatest secrets are always hidden
in the most unlikely places

- roald dahl

I came across this quote in my internet wanderings the other day and wanted to keep it.  It put me in mind of a book we recently checked out of the library.

If you are involved with children's literature or media you'll know a favorite science topic is the metamorphosis of the monarch butterfly and it's migration to Mexico.  I've read and watched numerous versions of this process (which is fascinating).   This is the first that explains the process without explaining it.  It is very fun to read aloud, lots of repetition without being tedious.  It also follows the process completely.  You come full circle by the end.  The illustrations are simple yet clear.  The title?  I thought you'd never ask:

Gotta Go! Gotta Go!
It's by Sam Swope and illustrated by Sue Riddle

Here's a part of a conversation between a bird and the butterfly along its way to mexico:

"Mexico is thousand of miles from here! A teeny-tiny bug like you will never make it!"  But the creepy-crawly bug said, "I am what I am and I know what I know and make it or not, I gotta go! I gotta go!  I gotta go to Mexico!"  And off she flew just as fast as she could go."

It's a lovely little book.  I highly recommend it!

What wonderful secrets have you discovered lately?

4 comments:

Naomi said...

Pill Bugs... again. And little purple blosoms that mean it is spring!

Anonymous said...

Here's one for you from the no longer so frozen North:

Daffodils from 'down below'
Pussy willows in the snow
Skunk cabbage up with golden glow
Ships in the harbor; guides 'in the know'
Vanishing darkness; birds that sing
The cheer resounds: its Spring! It's Spring!

Thanks for the lovelies! HUGS
Mai

mia said...

What a fun little book. Sashi, Ian and I will have to look for it the next time we are at the library. =)

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the lift! I really needed it today! So much to tickle the heart and chase the dark clouds away!
Hugs,
Mai