Friday, November 13, 2009

Do you ever get something unexpected and feel as though you have been given a great gift?

I received just such a gift yesterday from my mother. I'm grateful for my mom. I'm thankful for treasures that bring those who are gone closer. My little brother could elicit such beautiful sounds from a recorder. I'm sure he was cringing when he heard our attempts to use his instruments. I'm thankful for the opportunity to talk about him to my children and reminisce with my husband.

But that's not all. She also sent a rawhide drum that she'd made to my husband. No reason expect she knew he'd treasure it. He does. So do I. The sounds it makes and the smell of the cedar wraps me in deepest contentment. I spent nearly half an hour playing it yesterday afternoon. Then I had to share with my kids. I'm so thankful for memories of childhood that serve to strengthen and uplift. The cedar reminds me of carving and how much I enjoyed it.

Finally amongst the other fun things there is an old hotel bell. Beautiful and loud. Not a bad combination. Though I will confess to tighter reigns on that one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the way you write! Thanks for sharing your experiences...in more than one way:-)